Monday, February 16, 2009

C19-H28-O2

Just finished watching a somewhat interesting documentary on Testosterone. I think most people know that men have more than women, that high levels are usually associated with sexual and physical aggression, and that its levels go up and down throughout both male and female lives. However, a few things that I did learn:

1. There is a well supported theory that the level of testosterone that a child is exposed to in utero affects the second to fourth digit ratio. People who had higher levels of natal testosterone exposure have, stastically, a smaller second to fourth digit ratio. In other words, their ring fingers are longer than their pointer fingers. Following up on that idea led me to this article.

I'm not a big fan of basing intelligence and scholastic competence solely on SAT scores, but I will certainly acknowledge that there is a correlation. Smart people do better on those tests that non-smart people, despite all of the cultural and social inconsistencies inherit in the creation of the test.

Due to my undoubtedly testosterone-fueled ultra-competitive nature, I am quite happy to announce that my ring fingers are longer than my pointer fingers. I do however notice, that my left pointer finger is slightly shorter than my right pointer finger. I wonder what that means, if anything?

2. Testosterone levels in men decline once they get married. And more so once they have children. The theoretical guess to explain that is that committing to a relationship (marriage used to mean that) allows the male to redirect his energy and resources towards other goals than the mating competition.

The documentary either did not specify or I have already forgot what happens when men meet "the girl." I would think that testosterone levels would rise to make the man more competitive in order to get the girl.

3. Testosterone levels begin to rise in married men one year prior to divorce! So which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

4. I think that I had already heard this before, but maybe not: women nearer ovulation tend to find more attractive the faces of men with higher base levels of testosterone. Outside of that week-ish window, they prefer slightly more feminine faces. Hmm...

Well there you have it, my contribution to world knowledge. All I can say is, you're welcome.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I found myself checking my index & ring finger as I read--what does it mean if they're equal? Guess I'm average! I'll have to measure Andrew's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just spent like two minutes looking at my hands! well, on my left hand, my pointer is way longer than my ring finger is way longer than my ring finger, but on my right hand they're almost the same length. weird!
    thanks for the info, mike. Btw, i like your new banner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the longer the pointer is when compared to the ring, the higher the relative amount of estrogen compared to testosterone. I think that equal or longer pointer fingers would be more normal for women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so ... both my ring fingers are longer than my pointer fingers. But I definitely did much better on the verbal than I did the math on my SAT. I also did better on verbal than math on the ACT. BAM. I broke your test.

    However, I am very competitive for a girl. And even for many boys. So does that correlate to my longer ring fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually i just noticed that, on my right hand, my ring finger is slightly longer than my pointer.
    ah i'm a mutant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. julie: you're definitely a mutant. we didn't need this test to prove that. however, maybe you can harness your mutant abilities by doing all of your verbal stuff with your left hand and your math stuff with your right hand. it's so crazy, it just might work.

    ~becky: since when is this my test? haha. the level of natal testosterone is surely not the only factor in finger length, nor in later math/verbal aptitude. BAM. I broke your break of "my" test ;)

    don't know what to say about your relative competitiveness, other than: maybe because you're the eldest of three daughters, you have some form of the cursed "first born" affect? for your sake, i hope not, cuz i've got it bad and me no likey.

    thanks for the comments everyone.

    ReplyDelete