Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wrock

Wrock = wizard rock. Wizard rock is music inspired by, and mostly about, Harry Potter, his friends, and the world they inhabited. It's one of the strangest things I've ever witnessed.

Yes, witnessed. My friend is in the band Ministry of Magic (M.o.M.), apparently the next "big" thing in the Wrock world. I went to one of his concerts this weekend. Strange doesn't begin to describe the scene. I think it's best written plainly: imagine a bunch (~50) of tweens, teens, and a few young women jumping up and down to songs sung by men almost in their thirties about a little boy in a fantasy world. Throw in the random freaky college kid dressed up in a cape with Harry Potter quotes markered all over his face, a few little kids, and some stunned friends of a certain band member; voila, you have a Wrock concert. Dub-ee-you oh dub-ee-you, WOW!

I had the opportunity (?) to spend time with M.o.M. in their hotel room before they went on; a backstage pass, if you will. I got to hear all about the sl/nutty girls who have lists of band member's names that they check off when they, shall we say, find out what type of wand the musician has. I saw almost-grown men deem themselves "Gods" and objects of worship by said girls and friends. I saw a middle aged woman whose job is to 1) organize and promote these events and 2) act as a shield between these band members and the adoring "throngs," all while pretending that she's the sane one and not obsessed with those same band members.

Although I was completely shocked and a little disgusted by what I saw, I recognize that Harry Potter bands and their loose-Luna's are certainly not the worst things in the world. I do feel, however, that this concert is the closest I'll ever come to seeing a cult gathering. I was happy to see my friend perform his music (he is a talented musician), but I don't think that I'll be going to any more of his concerts.

Depulso strangeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment