Monday, March 23, 2009

Perception

I finally broke the news of my imminent departure to my friends. They were "pressing" me for commitments to some plans during the summer; I just couldn't keep lying to them. The response, initially, was underwhelming. They were surprised but took it in stride.

I've been thinking, planning, and agonizing over the upcoming moment for over a year. I just want to burst into celebration, run around screaming, tear off my shirt to reveal my sports bra (figuratively). And they were like, "Oh, cool. When are those hamburgers gonna be ready?" Not that I really expected any differently, but I sure wanted differently.

Along the lines of the "everything is perception" cliche, I'm amazed at two dichotomies:

1) There are 24 work days left. When I think about working those days, I can't believe how long that feels. When I think about how much stuff I have to pack in those days (plus weekends of course), I can't believe how little time I have.

2) After two years of having my own money to spend, I'm amazed at how much stuff I have. I own furniture!?! From college, I'm used to being able to pack everything that I own into my Toyota Camry and then just drive. I can't believe that all of this "stuff" is going to be making the trek with me from KC to Tampa.

Makes me want to be a Buddhist.

No comments:

Post a Comment